Are you nervous about driving in winter weather this year? You are certainly not alone. Snow and ice can cause some of the most hazardous conditions of the year, which is why it is vital to be prepared. To get yourself started, check out these tips for driving in winter weather:
- To begin with, avoid driving when you are sick or tired, which can reduce your reaction time and could be lethal on a snowy road.
- Always increase the distance between your vehicle and the other vehicles around you when the roads are snowy, icy, or slushy.
- Generally drive more slowly, which will also increase your fuel efficiency.
- Whatever you do, you should neither accelerate nor decelerate quickly. Always slowly increase or decrease your speed.
- If you find yourself skidding, try to remain calm. Gently aim your steering wheel into the direction of the skid, and your vehicle should regain control.
- Just in case of an emergency, be sure to have a first-aid kit ready, as well as some blankets and other winter layers, keeping you safe if you have to pull off the road.
For more safety tips – or to check out one of our many available Mazda models with all-wheel drive, just in time for the season – contact us or visit us any time here at Steet Ponte Mazda.