September is baby safety month and we know how important it is to keep your child safe while driving. Here at Steet Ponte Mazda, we understand that protecting your child while they’re in the car is a top concern for parents, especially those new parents with a newborn. We wanted to give you some great tips when it comes to getting the right car seat for your child!
- Choose the Right Direction – Parents should keep their child in a rear-facing car seat for as long as possible. This usually lasts until the child is around 2 years old. Kids who ride in rear-facing car seats have the maximum protection for their head, spine and neck and they are facing away from the airbag if it is deployed.
- Check the Label – Check the label on your child’s car seat to make sure it’s appropriate for your child’s age, height and weight. Each car seat has an expiration date that is usually around six years. Find yours and make sure that it is still safe.
- Know Your Car Seat’s History – If you are looking to buy a used car seat, make sure you are buying it from someone you know. If the car seat has been in an accident it needs to be replaced. Buying one from a thrift store or over the internet is risky and could be unsafe.
- Install Your Car Seat Correctly – Perform both the inch and pinch tests. One your car seat is installed give it a good tug at the base where the seat belt goes through. If you can move it an inch either side to side or front to back then it is installed incorrectly. A properly installed seat will not move more than an inch. To perform the pinch test, make sure that the harness is tightly bucked and coming from the correct spots; use your car seat manual. With the chest clip placed at armpit level, pinch the strap at your child’s shoulder. If you cannot pinch any excess webbing your seat is properly installed.
- Check Your Car Seat – Roughly seventy-three percent of car seats are installed incorrectly. Before you hit the road with your child, make sure that yours is installed properly.
If you’re looking for more advice on car seats or baby safety, visit this website. Steet Ponte Mazda is proud to be a family-oriented business and wants to make sure your family is safe too! Visit our website for a huge selection of our crossovers, SUVs and sedans that make for great family vehicles!